As is our custom, the staff at Toyark have picked their top photo shoots of the year. These are our personal picks for Top 18 Photo Shoots that we thoroughly enjoyed last year. This year, we have lists by myself (Joe Moore) as well as Toyark owner Alex2k5 / Tony_Bacala. The compilations are unscientific, and we don’t necessarily consider this a “Best Of” for 2018, but just our personal favorite items that we photographed. We had a really big mix of items last year, from companies such as Hasbro, NECA, Tamashii Nations, Mezco, Storm Collectibles and more. We hope you all have enjoyed the photo shoots we shared last year. We have a lot more in store for 2019. So read on to see our personal picks, as well as links to those individual photo galleries.
The staff at Toyark want to take a moment to wish are readers and forum members a Merry Christmas and a happy and safe holidays! We hope that you enjoy a fun filled and relaxing day with those you care about. With 2018 wrapping up, I just wanted to personally take a moment to thank all of you for visiting, checking out our photo shoots, helping us keep up on toy news, and for generally being awesome. I personally enjoy sharing news, talking toys, and sharing my thoughts on the latest figure I shot. None of that would be possible without all of you visiting every day, sharing stories on your social feeds, and interacting with your fellow fans on the forums. For that, I want to sincerely thank you and hope you stick around, as there is sure to be some great stuff on the horizon for 2019.
We will be closing out 2018, and kicking off 2019, with a lot of new photo shoots as both myself and Tony Bacala are working our way through a bit of a back log. The last quarter of the year tends to see a lot of figures hit shelves for the holiday shopping season. Combine that with vacations, holiday prep, and traveling to visit family, and you tend to get a year end bottleneck. We’ll end 2018 with our annual Top Photo Shoots. As is our norm, both myself and Mr. Bacala will pick our favorite photo shoots of the year, as well as round up every photo gallery from 2018!
I’d like to end the post with a request. Please, please be safe if you are traveling. Don’t drink and drive, and don’t let someone you know do it either. Enjoy the company you are with. Be it a partner, parents, siblings, kids or just simply some online friends whom are too far away to get together with. Have a great day, and we’ll be back on the 26th!
In 2017, we completed more photo shoots than any other year we’ve been live. We shared over 270 Total Collectible and Action Figure Galleries, totaling well over 350 action figures and collectibles. Between the three main staff members, we spent nearly every day this year photographing and prepping a photo shoot to share with our fans and readers. While I can’t promise that we’ll keep up that blistering pace in 2018, I can promise we’ll continue to bring everyone some fantastic galleries throughout the year. So, if you would like to revisit any of our photo shoots, or feel like you missed a few dozen galleries, you can see the full selection of photo shoots after the jump!
With 2017 behind us, the Toyark staff have picked their Top 17 Pick Ups and Photo Shoots of 2017. These are just our personal favorite items we’ve acquired last year. In 2017, we worked to really step up our photography with the introduction of our own personal environments, as well as the excellent backdrops by Extreme Sets. This is a trend that will continue into 2018 as we work to improve the quality of the photo shoots that (we hope) you enjoy as much as we do. Last year, we also had the greatest variety of collectible types we’ve ever shot. We’ve had the pleasure of working with companies such as NECA, Bluefin, Quantum Mechanix, Boss Fight Studio, DC Collectibles, McFarlane Toys, Chronicle Collectibles, Gecco, Diamond Select Toys and many more.
After the jump, you will find the top picks by myself, Tony Bacala and Destro, along with links to the corresponding galleries. Feel free to list out what figures or collectibles you enjoyed in 2017 by joining in on the discussion thread.
To those who’ve already kicked off 2018, and to those getting ready to celebrate, the staff of The Toyark want to wish you a safe and Happy New Year! We’ll be out celebrating with our friends and families, but will be back on soon. Look for some 2017 round up items starting tomorrow including staff picks (you may have seen them on our social channels), a list of all of our galleries from the year and possibly more. I also want to personally take a moment and thank all of our regular readers and casual visitors for a great 2017. I do this not only because I enjoy it, but because I hope that others enjoy the work as well. Thanks for all the great feedback you’ve provided, and always keeping me on my toes.
So we’ll raise our glass to an even better 2018, and hope to share in even more toy news, reviews and even better photo shoots. As always, please stay safe out there. See you all in 2018!
The first few months of the year are usually a little slower in terms of new toy releases, so we weren’t pumping out the galleries at the pace that ended 2016. However, that doesn’t mean we took the time off. From February through March, we had 36 galleries that we shared. New galleries included collectibles from NECA, Diamond Select Toys, Kidrobot, Hasbro, Medicom, Tamashii Nations and more. Check them out below. You can always browse through our entire Catalog of Photo Shoots to see everything we’ve done.
- NECA Reactor Glow Godzilla – Toyark Photo Shoot
- NECA Predator 30th Anniversary Jungle Demon Predator – Toyark Photo Shoot
- McFarlane Toys – The Walking Dead Carl Grimes Color Tops collection – Toyark Photo Shoot
- Visionaries Cindarr Darkling Lords Photo Shoot
- NECA Batman Returns Catwoman 1/4 Scale Figure – Toyark Photo Shoot
- Superman, Aquaman & Green Lantern Capullo Designer Series Gallery
- NECA Aliens Colonial Marines 2-Pack – Toyark Photo Shoot
- Extreme Sets Subway Terminal Pop Up Photo Review
- Sephiroth Play Arts Kai Final Fantasy Advent Children Photo Review
- Kidrobot 4-Inch Scale Foam Madballs – Toyark Photo Shoot
- NECA – Predator 2 Ultimate City Hunter Predator – Toyark Photo Shoot
- Battle Damaged Super Saiyan Gohan – S.H. Figuarts Dragonball Z Photo Review
- Extreme Sets – Abandoned House Pop-Up Diorama – Toyark Photo Shoot
- Punisher One:12 Collective by Mezco Photo Shoot
- Marvel Legends Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2 Star-Lord and Titus BAF Photo Shoot
- Extreme Sets The Building Pop Up Photo Review
- Marvel Legends Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2 Nova Photo Shoot
- Eaglemoss Aliens and Predator Statues – Toyark Photo Shoot
- Marvel Legends Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2 Darkhawk Photo Shoot
- Batman Beyond DC Collectibles Animated Style 3 Pack Photo Review
- Marvel Legends Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2 Angela Photo Shoot
- Marvel Legends Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2 Vance Astro Photo Shoot
- Star Wars 40th Anniversary Black Series Vintage Packaging – In-Hand Quick First Look
- Chirrut Imwe and Baze Malbus Star Wars Black Series Rogue One Galleries
- Marvel Legends Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2 Yondu Photo Shoot
- Kidrobot Madballs Keychains – Toyark Gallery
- Marvel Legends Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2 Drax Photo Shoot
- Mafex BVS Armored Batman and Wonder Woman Photo Review
- Kidrobot Madballs Blind Box Mini-Figures – Toyark Photo Shoot
- NECA Muhammad Ali vs Superman 2-Pack – Toyark Photo Shoot
- Kidrobot Madballs Horn Head and Bot Head 6-Inch Medium Figures – Toyark Photo Shoot
- Ghostbusters Select Series 4 – Toyark Photo Shoot
- S.H. Figuarts Suicide Squad Harley Quinn Photo Review
- Extreme Sets Sector 09 Pop-Up Diorama – Toyark Photo Shoot
- Magic: The Gathering Aether Revolt Bust A Box Photo Shoot
- DST Marvel Gallery Spider-Man Photo Review
Last Friday, Toyark readers took part in Take Your Action Figure To Work Day 2017. They shared dozens of great photos on Twitter, Instagram and our forums. I’ve gone through and rounded up most of the photos we were tagged in and sharing them for all of our readers to check out. We hope you all join us again for the next Take Your Action Figure To Work Day, whenever that may be (though it’s every day for some of you). For those that missed it, here were the details:
Do you have an action figure? Do you have a camera? Do you have a social media account? If the answer is yes, then you have all you need to participate! Take your action figure to work on the first Friday in March and post pictures of him/her/it with you, with your coworkers, with a client or with your boss (well, maybe not your boss). Get creative! Who doesn’t want to see Wolverine pulling double duty as a paper shredder? In 2014 some people even story boarded a day in the life of their action figure, for the time they woke up, to the end of the day. Even Cheetah and Wonder Woman put aside their differences at the end of the day to go camping together.
You’re only limited by your own creativity. Post away! Be sure you include the Official #AFWD2017 so we can all see the amazing things you do to make this as nerdy as possible.
Read on to check out all of the photos.
We’re back with our first gallery round-up of 2017. Last month we shared over 25 galleries! We’re already off to a big start, with many more photo shoots on the way. Last month we shared new galleries of toys and collectibles from Tamashii Nations, NECA, Extreme Sets, DC Collectibles, Hasbro, Just Play, QMX and more. Check out the full slate of galleries below. Keep checking back as we’re constantly photographing and reviewing new toys and more!
- Extreme Sets Dojo Pop Up Photo Review
- Extreme Sets Sewer Pop Up Photo Review
- Extreme Sets Deranged Alleyway Pop-Up Photo Review
- Magic: The Gathering Commander 2016 Photo Shoot
- QMx Q-Fig Spider-Man Photo Review
- Madballs Series 1 by Just Play – Toyark Photo Shoot
- S.H. Figuarts TMNT Raphael and Michelangelo Photo Review
- Batman Returns – 1/4 Scale Mayoral Penguin – Toyark Photo Shoot
- Disney Star Wars Director Krennic and Death Trooper Elite Premium Figures – Toyark Photo Shoot
- DC Films Armored Batman Photo Review
- Voltron – Playmates Combinable Legendary Defender Photo Review
- DC Collectibles Flash Arrow TV 2 Pack Photo Review
- DC Icons Accessory Pack #1 Photo Review
- DC Icons Burnside Batgirl with Bike Photo Review
- Marvel Legends Sandman BAF Photo Shoot
- DC Icons Darkseid and Grail 2 Pack Photo Review
- Marvel Legends Shocker Photo Shoot
- Star Wars Elite Premium Series Darth Vader and Kylo Ren -Toyark Photo Shoot
- Marvel Legends Jackal Photo Shoot
- Obi-Wan Kenobi – Star Wars Black Series Gallery
- Marvel Legends The Amazing Spider-Man Symbiote Photo Shoot
- AT-AT Pilot and Snowtrooper – Star Wars Black Series Gallery
- Sabine Wren – Star Wars Black Series Gallery
- Marvel Legends Ms. Marvel Photo Shoot
- Darth Revan – Star Wars Black Series Gallery
- Marvel Legends Spider-UK Photo Shoot
- Princess Leia Organa – Star Wars Black Series Gallery
- Marvel Legends Spider-Man 2099 Photo Shoot
- Marvel Legends Green Goblin Photo Shoot
Here is the final 2016 round-up of our photo shoots. For December, we had over 20 new photo shoots which included figures, busts and other collectibles. We took on figures and collectibles from NECA, Mezco, QMX, MattyCollector, Tamashii Nations, Playmates and more. We’ve already begun to drop the many galleries we’ll have for 2017. We’ll have some brand new items, and a few items released in the back end of 2016 that we are just getting to now. As always, you can keep up with all of our photo shoots by Clicking Here. We hope you have enjoyed the December galleries. Check them all out below.
- NECA Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Donatello 1/4 Scale Figure – Toyark Photo Shoot
- A Nightmare On Elm St. 2: Freddy’s Revenge – 1/4 Scale Freddy Krueger – Toyark Photo Shoot
- Mezco One:12 Collective Frankenstein Figure – Toyark Photo Shoot
- NECA Aliens 30th Anniversary Rescuing Newt 2-Pack – Toyark Photo Shoot
- GCPD Batman – Capullo Designer Series 2 Pack In-Hand Gallery
- Clawful – Masters of the Universe Club Grayskull In-Hand Gallery
- One:12 BvS Dawn of Justice Batman Gallery
- Thundercats Classic Panthro In-Hand Gallery
- Thundercats Classic Mumm-Ra In-Hand Photos
- Thundercats Classic Pumyra Detailed Images
- Spawn Rebirth – McFarlane Color Tops In-Hand Gallery
- S.H. Figuarts Super Saiyan Vegeta
- Star Wars Rogue One Exclusive Troopers – In Depth Look
- Aliens Series 10 by NECA – Toyark Photo Shoot
- NECA 1/4 Scale City Hunter Predator – Toyark Photo Shoot
- QMx Harry Potter Q-Fig Photo Shoot
- TMNT Ninja Superstars – Michelangelo as Macho Man Randy Savage In-Hand Look
- Captain America One:12 Collective by Mezco Photo Shoot
- Star Wars Rogue One Medallions – In Hand Images and Details
- Mezco 12-Inch Scale Hellraiser 3 Pinhead Figure – Toyark Photo Shoot
- Gentle Giant Star Wars The Force Awakens Snowtrooper Classic Bust – Toyark Photo Shoot
Last year, we picked our Top 15 for 2015 and we’re continuing that trend this year. Last year proved to be one of our busiest ever, with well over 250 photo shoots in the last 12 months! Photo shoots were split between three members of the Toyark staff, myself, Tony_Bacala and Destro. With each photo shoot, we strive to improve our posing and photography skills. Sometimes those efforts result in minor improvements, and at times, they result in massive shifts as we discover a lighting setup, technique or backdrop combination that seems to really gel with the figures, statues and busts we’re shooting. We’ve done everything from solid color backdrops, to print outs, to using an assortment of diorama pieces cobbled together from many sources. Sometimes a photo shoot calls for only 30 or so photos, but at times, we’ll go well over the 200 photo mark in a single shoot! With the new year upon us, we want to share with everyone each staff members picks for Top 16 of 2016. We hope our readers have enjoyed seeing the results, as we’ve thoroughly enjoyed sharing them with you all.
Read on for our picks as well as links to the galleries for each selection.