Today is the last day to back the Dime Novel Legends Kickstarter “The Cavalry” Kickstarter. The newest offering from Chicken Fried Toys features all new classic Western 1/18 scale action figures. This assortment is geared towards army builders, and includes new figures, gear, and horses. The campaign is fully funded, and multiple stretch goals have been unlocked! You have until 9:00 PM EST to join in. Here’s what’s currently available:
- The 4 basic”troopers: Trooper Private, Buffalo Soldier NCO, Officer JG, Major General (add any for $30).
- The Field Trooper is now also unlocked and can be added at $30. This can be added at any pledge level by adding $30 in the bonus support box OR it can be included as many times as you want within the $500 pledge.
- KS “Exclusive” Blackrope can be added to any pledge by adding $35 in the bonus support box or using the Add On menu.
- Bonus head pack-in was reached and is included automatically with all Trooper Private figures.
- The sabre accessory set “Rattle the Sabres!” is unlocked and can be added for $18 using the bonus support box.
- The hat accessory set “Cover yer Head” is unlocked and can be added for $40 using the bonus support box.
- The new Gray Buckaroo is now unlocked, too. Price is $18 and can be added using the bonus support box. It is also included for free for those who pledge at the $500 Full Charge level.
- Field Veteran – $100,000 – now about 6.5k away from funding and will be $30.
There will be additional items unlocked as new goals are met. Kickstarters tend to add a good chunk of backers in their final hours. After the campaign closes, they will go live with a Backer-Kit like interface where you can allocate the funds that you pledged. Check out the Kickstarter Page to back the project. If you’d like, you can follow their live stream tonight starting at 8PM, where they will be celebrating the successful campaign.
Like the proverbial bad penny, Chicken Fried Toys is back again, with more spicy authentic Western sauce, as you like it! This time around, we are presenting our first Army-builder centric lineup: The Cavalry!
The history of the US Army Cavalry during the 19th Century is full of great heroism, greater foolishness, and grim tragedy. Used as a tool of the Federal Government during the push to expand Westward they were responsible for protecting settlers as they moved across the plains towards California seeking homesteads. They also had the task of relocating the Indigenous Peoples towards reservation lands as they were forced further and further away from their ancestral homes. Many terrible tragedies occurred during this time, and atrocities were committed to this end. Sadly, this leaves a checkered legacy behind whose repercussions are felt in lives of Indigenous Peoples even to this day.
A positive outcome of this period was the inclusion of free and freed African Americans to the Cavalry ranks, creating such storied units as the Buffalo Soldiers. These men served with pride and distinction in the pursuit of a better life and livelihood for themselves and their families. Their descendants meet in Clubs and Associations even today to celebrate the influence these brave men had during a time when they were at an extreme disadvantage.
The history of the Cavalry today is filled with tales of glory and adventure. While the pageantry and camaraderie are fondly remembered, we want to present these characters with warts and all for you to enjoy, and perhaps even learn a little something more about the period in which they all lived and died as Legends.