Sideshow Pacific Rim Slattern Statue Pre-Order

Slattern Pacific Rim Statue 009

Pre-ordering is now live for the upcoming Pacific Rim Slattern Statue from Sideshow. With the pre-order, we have a few new images to share as well. Check the details below:

Slattern Statue by Sideshow Collectibles
Price: $469.99
Limited Edition: TBD
Expected to ship May 2014
Product Size: 23″ H (584.2mm) x 12″ W (304.8mm) x 11″ L (279.4mm)

From the depths of the Pacific Ocean, the world’s most ominous threat rises. The first and only known Category 5 Kaiju, codenamed Slattern, will challenge mankind’s Jaeger defenses for the fate of humanity. With his deadly barbed tail and fearsome claws, the gargantuan monster is coiled and ready to attack. Developed in partnership with the award-winning filmmaker Guillermo Del Toro, Sideshow Collectibles Pacific Rim statues bring this epic battle between monster and machine from the big screen to your collection.

Discussion / Comments (Jump to this Thread on the Forum)

  1. jwmagick has no avatar! jwmagick says

    Why do they blowtorch the statue like that? What does that do to the surface and what does it allow them to do after?

  2. Joe Moore's Avatar Joe Moore says

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwmagick View Post
    Why do they blowtorch the statue like that? What does that do to the surface and what does it allow them to do after?
    My guess is to dry those areas out to avoid it from deforming and drooping. The heat from the flame will start to bake the clay a bit.

  3. r3v3n63's Avatar r3v3n63 says

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe Moore View Post
    My guess is to dry those areas out to avoid it from deforming and drooping. The heat from the flame will start to bake the clay a bit.
    Actually it's a smoothing effect. I'm pretty sure they are using a product called Castaline which is a putty/wax hybrid. You need heated tools to sculpt but you can also cut and sand the sculpt in it's raw form. By running that blowtorch over the sculpt it takes out any rough tool lines and gives it a more organic look. It does make it melty and the follow-up step they didn't show was the sculptor blasting the heated putty with a can of compressed air turned upside down to freeze the castaline in place. I've seen this technique used on Chavant by Simon Lee (same guy who designed the Kaiju) while he works on his sculpts.
    Castaline is supposed to be the new sculpting medium in the toy industry because it uses the classic wax techniques while being tougher and it's supposed to be super light weight so you can do big sculpts without it collapsing on itself. It never dries out so it can be reused bu that also means the master sculpt is susceptible to heat and breakage.

  4. Joe Moore's Avatar Joe Moore says

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r3v3n63 View Post
    Actually it's a smoothing effect. I'm pretty sure they are using a product called Castaline which is a putty/wax hybrid. You need heated tools to sculpt but you can also cut and sand the sculpt in it's raw form. By running that blowtorch over the sculpt it takes out any rough tool lines and gives it a more organic look. It does make it melty and the follow-up step they didn't show was the sculptor blasting the heated putty with a can of compressed air turned upside down to freeze the castaline in place. I've seen this technique used on Chavant by Simon Lee (same guy who designed the Kaiju) while he works on his sculpts.
    Castaline is supposed to be the new sculpting medium in the toy industry because it uses the classic wax techniques while being tougher and it's supposed to be super light weight so you can do big sculpts without it collapsing on itself. It never dries out so it can be reused bu that also means the master sculpt is susceptible to heat and breakage.
    Thanks. That's some good info.

  5. r3v3n63's Avatar r3v3n63 says

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe Moore View Post
    Thanks. That's some good info.
    Cool, glad it was informative. Here is a video of the guys at Neca, they don't talk about the process much but you can see them working on the Castaline masters...

    The Secret Story of TOYS on Vimeo

  6. Leave your reply on the Toyark Forums.

    Full Thread: Pacific Rim Slattern Statue

    Not a member yet? Join Toyark Now!

Join the Conversation! › Sideshow Pacific Rim Slattern Statue Pre-Order Discussion