Forum member Snowflakian has pointed us to a press release from Hasbro. they have been given an Environmental Merit Award by the Environmental Protection Agency (aka the EPA).
Check out the press release after the jump.
Hasbro Receives Environmental Merit Award by U.S. EPA
PAWTUCKET, R.I.–(BUSINESS WIRE)– Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ:HAS) was selected today as a recipient of an Environmental Merit Award by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), recognizing the company for outstanding environmental work and significant contributions toward preserving and protecting natural resources.
The award acknowledges Hasbro’s environmental sustainability achievements, including:
- Improving Product-to-Packaging Ratio: In April 2012, Hasbro announced plans to reduce materials used in product packaging for many of its highly popular global brands.
- Eliminating PVC in Packaging: Hasbro has eliminated polyvinyl chloride (PVC) from new product packaging in 2013, and will continue to reduce PVC in all packaging until completely eliminated.
- Increasing Recycled Content: Hasbro exceeded its 2011 goal to derive at least 75 percent of paper and board packaging from recycled material, or from sources that practice sustainable forest management. By 2015, Hasbro plans to increase that target to 90 percent usage of these materials and sources for all its paperboard packaging and in-box game content.
- Using Materials Responsibly: Hasbro’s owned and operated factory in North America uses vegetable-based printing inks and aqueous coatings in its printing processes for game and puzzle components, boxes and instructions. Additionally, the factory has received green certification for its printing processes by the nonprofit Sustainable Green Printing Partnership (SGP).
- Sourcing Paper Sustainably: Since 2011, Hasbro has been guided by a robust paper sourcing policy, providing guidelines for suppliers regarding sustainable paper sourcing to help ensure that paper used in Hasbro products aligns with the company’s commitment to environmental sustainability. Additionally, both of its owned and operated factories have achieved certification from recognized certifying bodies like the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC).
- Reducing Waste: Hasbro sends zero waste to landfill from its North American manufacturing processes and the company is committed to waste reduction across its facilities.
“EPA applauds Hasbro, along with all the people and organizations being recognized today as leaders in helping create a cleaner environment and healthier communities,” said Curt Spalding, regional administrator of EPA New England. “An environmental merit award is the highest honor EPA New England can give to recognize excellent environmental work throughout this region.”
“We are honored to be recognized by the EPA for our advancements in environmental sustainability,” said Brian Goldner, Hasbro’s President and CEO. “Hasbro is committed to being a responsible corporate citizen and driving continual improvement in all facets of our business. This recognition is a testament to the innovation and dedication of Hasbro teams around the world.”
To learn more about Hasbro’s Corporate Social Responsibility programs and progress, please visit http://csr.hasbro.com/
Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAS) is a branded play company dedicated to fulfilling the fundamental need for play for children and families through creative expression of the Company’s world class brand portfolio, including TRANSFORMERS, MONOPOLY, PLAY-DOH, MY LITTLE PONY, MAGIC: THE GATHERING, NERF, LITTLEST PET SHOP and G.I. JOE. From toys and games, to television programming, motion pictures, digital gaming and a comprehensive licensing program, Hasbro strives to delight its global customers with innovative play and entertainment experiences, in a variety of forms and formats, anytime and anywhere. The Company’s Hasbro Studios develops and produces television programming for more than 170 markets around the world, and for the U.S. on The Hub TV Network, part of a multi-platform joint venture between Hasbro and Discovery Communications (NASDAQ: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK). Through the company’s deep commitment to corporate social responsibility, including philanthropy, Hasbro is helping to build a safe and sustainable world for future generations and to positively impact the lives of millions of children and families every year. It has been recognized for its efforts by being named one of the “World’s Most Ethical Companies” and is ranked as one of Corporate Responsibility Magazine’s “100 Best Corporate Citizens.” Learn more at www.hasbro.com
© 2013 Hasbro, Inc. All Rights Reserved.